Volunteer In Texas
We urgently need work teams or individuals to volunteer in November. Interested or know someone who is? Please follow the instructions below.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with our church partner, the Southwestern District of the C&MA. Local churches need willing hands and feet to help begin the rebuilding process in their communities.
To come as a team, or as an individual, please contact the Southwestern District at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your email, please list any tools you have available and skills that may be helpful.
The C&MA relief efforts in the Houston area are now focused on reconstruction projects. We need teams that have at least one skilled worker that can supervise, while others on the team help and learn. We’re looking for one person per team with experience in one of the following areas: HVAC, electrical, plumbing, drywall (hanging, taping, floating, or texturing), or cabinet installation.
Here’s what to know:
– The church can work with 5-10 people on a team.
– Due to health and safety concerns, the district recommends volunteers be 16 years or older.
– Length of stay should be 3-5 days. Longer is great, but it will require the district more time to coordinate where you will be working.
– Volunteers must be able to work in 90-degree heat with 70% humidity. Air conditioning is running in most locations.
– Churches in the Greater Houston area are staging areas for volunteers. Your location will be assigned by the disaster coordinator.
– Accommodations are provided at your assigned church. Each church has separate sleeping areas for men and women. Cots and blankets are available, but feel free to bring an air mattress. Showers and a full kitchen are available. There are no available laundry facilities in the churches.
– Plan to purchase food once you arrive at local grocery stores and restaurants.
Here’s what to bring:
– Bring your own bedding. There are cots and blankets at each church.
– Bring sturdy shoes, suitable for mud and water. (No flip-flops, open-toed shoes, or shorts.)
– Bring sunglasses, hats, insect repellent, and sunscreen. Work gloves and paper respirators are available at the host church sites.
– Most tools are now available. If you have specialized tools for specific work you will be doing, please bring those tools if possible.
More questions? Call 281-755-6231.
We appreciate your willingness to volunteer. And please continue to pray for Texas.