Volunteer In Texas
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with our church partner, the Southwestern District of the C&MA. Local churches need willing hands and feet to help begin the rebuilding process in their communities.
To come as a team, or as an individual, please contact the Southwestern District at email@example.com. In your email, please list any tools you have available and skills that may be helpful. Please note churches have an urgent need for volunteers with the experience and materials for installing insulation and hanging drywall.
As clean up is now mostly finished, teams that arrive in these next days and months will do more construction and remodeling. Be aware you will need to bring your own food, tools, and bedding. Anything you forget may not be available locally.
Here’s what to know:
– The church can work with 5-10 people on a team.
– Due to health and safety concerns, the district recommends volunteers be 16 years or older.
– Length of stay should be 3-5 days. Longer is great, but it will require the district more time to coordinate where you will be working.
– Volunteers must be able to work in 90-degree heat with 70% humidity.
– Two churches in the Greater Houston area are staging areas for volunteers. Your location will be assigned by the disaster coordinator.
– Accommodations are provided at your assigned church. Cots and showers are available, but there are no available laundry facilities.
Here’s what to bring:
– Bring your own food. (You can buy groceries once you arrive.)
– Bring your own bedding.
– Bring sturdy shoes, suitable for mud and water. (No flip-flops, open-toed shoes, or shorts.)
– Bring strong work gloves.
– Bring respirators (paper masks).
– Bring sunglasses, hats, insect repellent, and sunscreen.
– Bring your own tools: hammer, pry bar, rakes, shovels, heavy/duty contractor garbage bags, sturdy brooms, pump sprayers, power tools and a small generator (if available).
More questions? Call 281-755-6231.
We appreciate your willingness to volunteer. And please continue to pray for Texas.