DR Congo: Assist the Local Church to Reach the Poor
Support the local church in key community development initiatives.Apply
Working with the local church, you will be a community development facilitator, focusing on efforts to reach the poor who have had little access to the gospel in the lower DR Congo region.
• CAMA worker
• Partially funded (requested to raise partial support)
• Single or couple (while a single person may be considered, a couple might be a better fit given local realities)
• Assist the local church in launching new development efforts and assessing current medical and education ministries
• Identify potential new partners and coach local congregations in cultivating these contacts
• Focus CAMA involvement on one or two key projects that respond to pressing local needs
• Facilitate short-term visitors’ involvement in local projects and ministries in the lower DRC region
• A recognized bachelor’s degree
• Completion of World Perspectives Mission Course or other comparable mission course
• Completion of Alliance Polity course
• A minimum Modern Language Aptitude Test (MLAT) score of 40 or higher
• Experience in community development that demonstrates an ability to partner with locals
• Bachelor’s or graduate level degree in international development
Biblical Characteristics Desired:
• Ability to articulate personal conversion story and call to ministry
• Demonstrated heart for the poor and marginalized (Micah 6:8)
• Theological alignment with The Alliance
• Demonstrated flexibility and grace in all aspects of life
• Vibrant spiritual life and consistent practice of spiritual disciplines
• Ability to learn and recover from failure
Timeline for deployment:
Summer 2021: Once appointed and fund-raising and other qualifications are met, the appointee is required to attend a cross-cultural and language acquisition program and Pre-Field Orientation prior to deploying.
Housing accommodations will be in the port city of Boma, DRC, where the primary work will be carried out.
Language is an essential part of ministry. For those who do not know the language, one year of French language study in Albertville, France, is required, possibly followed by study of the local language, depending on length of service.
Some health-care options are available. Major surgeries need to be done outside the country.
Expectations for Spouse:
Spousal roles vary based on the spouse’s gifts, training, and abilities, as well as the needs of the team. It is expected that both spouses will be meaningfully involved in meeting team objectives, depending on the nature of the family roles, children’s needs, etc.
Children’s Educational Plan and Options:
Homeschooling is an option. There are K–12 schools in Kinshasa and boarding schools in surrounding countries.
The successful applicant(s) will receive a full compensation package with the expectation that, once appointed, efforts will be made to raise a portion of support costs through the applicant’s network of friends and family, local church, or other resources. Information on support costs will be made available upon application. Training and/or coaching in fund-raising is available.
CAMA Services is the relief and development specialization of Alliance Missions. As part of an evangelical denomination, we are committed to biblical holism, which we are committed to model and reflect through our work. Due to this commitment, part of the required qualifications includes optimal emotional, spiritual and physical health. These will be assessed during the application process.
Applicants should be aware that serving in the international world often requires a higher degree of grace and flexibility. For example, overseas teams can be suddenly and unexpectedly impacted by illness, government decisions, financial realities, team changes, or other factors beyond the team’s control. The challenge for applicants is that these factors can sometimes necessitate the sudden redefining of a position, which may take place before, during, or after the application/interview process.
Please contact Pat Altemose at email@example.com.Apply