Indonesia: Join an Urban Holistic Development Team
Model holistic development in a sprawling metropolis.Apply
Over half of Indonesia’s 240 million people are crowded into urban centers. For many, the dream of jobs and opportunity is lost in unemployment, poverty, and despair. We seek a compassionate, justice-driven couple or single to model contextualized holistic development in Jakarta. This applicant will also train and support Indonesian counterparts—including Kemah Peduli, the new social foundation of the Gereja Kemah Injil Indonesia (C&MA). The goal will be to increase vision and capacity for implementing transformational community development.
• CAMA worker
• Partially funded (required to raise 75% of support)
• Ordination not required
• Couple or single
• Clear conversion and call to ministry of gospel demonstration and proclamation
• A recognized bachelor’s degree
• Study in the area of community development and/or urban work
• Completion of Missions Perspective course
• Modern Language Aptitude Test (MLAT) of 45 or higher
• Completion of Alliance Polity course
• Self-motivated, flexible/adaptable
• Higher Education and/or experience in development (education, health, agriculture, income generation, etc.)
• Experience in organizational development / project management.
• Live in a community of the majority faith in Jakarta
• Invest in Kemah Peduli in leadership and board capacity-building
• Develop broad and deep relationships among the majority population
• Develop / join a transformational community development ministry (visa sponsorship would be through this work)
• Spend 20 hours/week on language learning, enculturation and relationship-building.
• Continue to support capacity building of Kemah Peduli, and network with them in implementing community development initiatives with the poor.
• Teach seminars and courses on urban wholistic ministry as opportunity arises
• Provide GKII workers throughout Indonesia with development resources
Timeline for deployment:
About 30% of the population lives below the poverty line. Visit World Factbook for more information.
Work and Living Environment:
Applicant will live in an urban center with many “western amenities”. The applicant will serve with at least one national couple as teammates and be part of a larger network of expat and national workers. They will be under a team leader and report to the field leadership team.
Status of Christian Witness:
Visit the Joshua Project website.
Receive one year of intense language study followed by on-the-field language and cultural acquisition studies. Dedicate several hours per day to language acquisition, and then continue to make mastery of the Indonesian language a lifelong goal, as this will greatly enhance ministry and ability to impact people for Christ.
Jakarta has good health care facilities, as do other large cities. Well-trained doctors, and most medications are readily available. Serious health issues are usually handled in Jakarta or Singapore.
Expectations for Spouse:
Spousal roles vary based on the spouse’s gifts, abilities, training, the needs of the team, and as family commitments allow. Ministry opportunities for the spouse include teaching at a girls’ trade school (health education, English, culinary arts, micro-enterprise, Bible), medical ministries (community health, wound care for street boys, clinic consultations), discipleship and evangelism with women and children, as well as other opportunities.
Children’s Educational Options:
International Christian schools are available and home-schooling is also an option with many resources available.
This is a partially funded position with the expectation that, once appointed, the new staff member will raise 75 percent of support costs through the applicant’s network of friends and family, local church, or other resources prior to departure to the field. Information on support costs will be made available upon application. Training and/or coaching in fundraising is available.
Please contact Pat Altemose at email@example.com.