Asia/Pacific: Refugee Community Development and Education
Come alongside refugee teachers
The successful applicant(s) will support refugee teachers through an ongoing teacher-training program. They will also provide mentorship, coaching, parenting advice, and nurturing through the learning centers and the community.
- CAMA worker
- Creative-access country (CAC)
- Partially funded (requested to raise partial support)
- Single or couple
- Learn one of two local languages
- Invest in relationships with refugee teachers
- Assist in the continued development of curriculum for the refugee teacher-training program
- Conduct visits within homes (both men and women are needed for visits)
- A recognized bachelor’s degree
- Completion of the World Perspectives Mission Course (minimum of certificate level) or equivalent
- Completion of Alliance Polity course
- A minimum Modern Language Aptitude Test (MLAT) score of 40
- An understanding of the effects of trauma
- Flexibility with time and expectations
- A focus on relationships
- Cross-cultural and/or refugee experience
Biblical Characteristics Desired:
- Ability to articulate personal conversion and call to gospel ministry
- Demonstrated heart for the poor and marginalized (Micah 6:8)
- Theological alignment with The Alliance
- Demonstrated flexibility and grace in all aspects of life
- Vibrant spiritual life with consistent practice of spiritual disciplines
- Ability to learn and recover from failure
Timeline for Deployment:
Summer/fall of 2024. Following appointment, and once fundraising goals and other qualifications are met, the appointee is required to attend a cross-cultural and language-acquisition program and pre-field orientation prior to deploying.
This country is primarily comprised of an upper-to-middle-class population. There is a large multicultural community. The climate is tropical with both wet and dry seasons. As a popular tourist location, beaches, hiking trails, and cultural attractions are accessible.
Language is an essential part of ministry. Those who do not know the language will attend a language study program. There are a number of approaches available for learning the language once the successful applicant(s) is on the field. The goal will be to speak, read, and write the language at a functional level in order to mentor, teach, and train others.
The climate is hot and humid year-round. Internationally accredited hospitals and medical care are readily available and capable of competently treating most health concerns.
Expectations for Spouse:
Spousal roles vary based on the spouse’s gifts, training, and abilities as well as the needs of the team. It is expected that both spouses will be meaningfully involved in meeting ministry objectives depending on the nature of family roles, children, etc.
Children’s Educational Plan and Options:
Good international schools are available locally. Options and support for homeschooling are also readily available.
The successful applicant(s) will receive a full compensation package with the expectation that, once appointed, efforts will be made to raise a portion of support costs through the applicant’s network of friends, family, local church, or other resources. Information on support costs will be made available upon application. Training and/or coaching in fundraising is available.
Applicant(s) should be aware that serving in the international world often requires a higher degree of grace and flexibility. For example, overseas teams can be suddenly and unexpectedly impacted by illness, government decisions, financial realities, team changes, or other factors beyond the team’s control. The challenge for applicants is that these factors can sometimes necessitate the sudden redefining of a position, which may take place before, during, or after the application/interview process has begun or is completed.
CAMA Services is the relief and development specialized structure of Alliance Missions. As part of an evangelical denomination, we are committed to biblical holism, which is modeled and reflected through our work. Due to this commitment, part of the required qualifications includes optimal emotional, spiritual, and physical health. These will be assessed during the application process.