Ten years ago, churches and donors from all around joined CAMA in what we called the “Moringa Project.”
The leaves of the moringa tree are packed with nutrients that are vital for the undernourished and people living with HIV. The leaves and seeds can also be sold to provide economic opportunity for families living in poverty. In 2009, our team was looking to promote these benefits in different villages across Southeast Asia.
So, what’s happened in the last 10 years?
CAMA workers David and Doris Strong recently reflected on the many ways moringa has blessed others.
In the past 10 years, CAMA staff have…
- Led moringa seminars in 6 different countries and shared about creation, the fall of man, God’s love for man, and salvation through Jesus
- Consulted the start-up of 3 different moringa micro-businesses in 3 different countries, including Moringa for Health
- Helped plant orchards in Cambodia, Thailand, Indonesia, and Myanmar
- Offered training on the benefits of moringa in dozens of villages
- Broadcasted the benefits of moringa on FEBC radio across Cambodia
- Partnered with the Ministry of Health in publishing 3 books on medicinal tropical plants and brochure on the value of moringa powder
- Empowered local HIV/AIDS projects to use moringa to help with patients
- Distributed 26,000 seedlings or seeds in 12 different countries
Since 2007, the business Moringa For Health has…
- Paid out $16,200 for leaf and seed purchases providing supplemental income to farmers and marginalized people
- Provided employment with benefits to seven different workers
- Offered daily time of prayer and a weekly Bible study with the staff
- Produced and sold 1700 kgs. of moringa leaf powder
- Produced and sold 200 liters of moringa oil
- Contributed tithe to local churches and national church committees
- Contributed $500 to sponsor a 2-day financial management training for families
- Registered as a local NGO
- Received no external funding for the past 5 years
- Helped publicize moringa in Cambodia to the point that there are several companies selling moringa products in stores and now moringa advertisements on the radio
In 2019, please pray for Moringa For Health as…
- A new manager steps into a new role
- A search for a full-time sales and marketing position continues
- A training program to empower villagers who want to start their own small businesses moves forward
- An increase in sales is needed to support new staff and social outreach
“Do not despise these small beginnings, for the LORD rejoices to see the work begin…” Zechariah 4:10
We have a new CAMA position to come alongside Moringa for Health and small business start-ups in Cambodia. Know anyone who might be interested?