The wildfires in California have destroyed entire neighborhoods. Thousands are displaced and hundreds are missing. Several Alliance pastors, leaders, and church members have lost their homes.
Ray Van Gilst, Central Pacific District superintendent, writes:
We reported to you yesterday that Jon and Rachael Maves of Alliance Redwoods and pastor of City Alliance Church in Santa Rosa lost their home in the fires. They were awakened at 2:00 a.m. by pounding on their door and saw flames all around their neighborhood. They do not live on the outskirts which shows you how invasive this fire is. We found out later in the day that Billy and Elissa Andre, pastoral couple of The Bridge in Santa Rosa, also lost their home. Many of our church families in Santa Rosa have lost their homes as well and will need immediate help.
How is our Alliance family responding?
The Central Pacific District family is rallying to provide temporary housing and other needs. Several Alliance churches are being used as evacuation centers for families quickly fleeing their homes. The Alliance Redwoods Conference Grounds is hosting several families who have been displaced by the fire, as well as over 200 firefighters.
While CAMA is at full capacity and unable to respond due to recent hurricanes and the earthquakes in Mexico, we understand these fires have destroyed at least 3,500 homes and businesses. Local Alliance churches have an opportunity to demonstrate Christ’s compassion to those who have not only lost their homes or jobs but also their possessions. We’re asking you to pray and letting you know of two ways you can give to support our Alliance family relief efforts in California.
- for the lead pastors and the attendees of our four Alliance churches who have lost homes. Church leaders have been hit particularly hard. Pray for the power to serve others and wisdom to lead and comfort while grieving their own losses.
- for those who remain in harm’s way
- for safe breathing. There may be toxic elements in the surrounding smoke.
- that people will grieve in a healthy way. “Blessed are those who mourn for they will be comforted.”
- for God’s peace to envelope the many people suffering immense stress and trauma
- online to the Alliance Redwoods Conference Center to directly cover the operating costs of housing Cal Fire employees and families who have been evacuated.
- by sending checks to the Central Pacific District at 715 Lincoln Ave., Woodland, CA 95695. Please add “Santa Rosa Fire” to the memo section. Gifts will provide needed relief for victims of these fires.